Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Work is love made visible.

Nov. 27- I'm thankful for the best co-workers a girl could ask for. Our job is hard.  It is stressful.  It will wear you down.  It involves many long hours for very little pay.  However, it never fails- that when I have reached the end of my rope and I'm ready to throw in the towel- I end up with a group of coworkers telling stories about children.

Kurt Vonnegut said "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion.  I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."  For me, laughter has healing properties.  After an alignment meeting with Pre-K teachers at my school, we had an impromptu story circle.  You know, one of those things where everyone stands in a circle and tries to outdo everyone else's story?  It was great!  I think my favorite story was the parent who brought in a Walmart gift card and told the teacher there wasn't any money on it, she just wanted her to have the card.  Like for her collection?  So she can sell it on Ebay this summer as a collector's item?  And that was from a grown-up!

So today, I am thankful for coworkers.  They are people who live my life with me everyday.  It is difficult to understand what it is like to be a teacher, unless you are a teacher.  Today, those other teachers reminded me of why I chose this profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment