Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I is for independent

I have always been an independent person.  I have great family, friends and support, but I also know my own mind and make my own decisions.  Independence is a trait I want my son to have, but I'm not sure how to teach that?  I know that I model it.  When appropriate, I 'think out loud' about things so he can hear my thought process.  I give him choices and respect those choices.  Again, when it's appropriate.  If I let him choose if he wanted to brush his teeth, he would be toothless.  I do let him choose, for example, if he wants to brush his teeth before he gets dressed or after he gets dressed.  
What else can I do?  How do you encourage independence in your children?

5 comments:

  1. One way I encourage independence is to give responsibility and allow age appropriate choices. I also try to follow a Love and Logic approach. For example, if you don't want to wear a jacket, then you'll be cold - rather than me forcing them to wear a jacket.

    TaMara
    Tales of a Pee Dee Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all decisions there are consequences. Don't worry so much. He'll learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With mine, I let them do everything they want to, themselves. With supervision as needed. And I always ask them if they need me, then respect them when they say they want to do it-go into the dentist, register for school, shop for underwear-by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever you do it looks like you are making a great job of it, simply being a parent who is thinking hard about the way they raise their children is the most important step. good luck, with your lovely son and with the A to Z challenge;-)

    ReplyDelete